Notes from New Sodom

... rantings, ravings and ramblings of strange fiction writer, THE.... Sodomite Hal Duncan!!

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

My Mind, Melded

I have been mindmelded. They asked me, "If you had the power, what would your ideal SF television show look like?" After my initial thought, "Just bring back Stargate Universe," I figured I might as well have fun with my imaginary empowerment:

OK, here's the series I'd be showrunner for if anyone was crazy enough to let me: Hellhound, I call it. Think The Littlest Hobo meets Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Think Supernatural meets Highway to Heaven, only nobody told Michael Landon they'd finished shooting I Was a Teenage Werewolf -- no, scratch that, they didn't get Michael Landon for either role at all; they got Vincent Gallo and gave him all of Charlie Sheen's drugs...

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Jack Crow said...

Have you seen the American version of "Being Human" yet? It's quite good, for all that it was produced for the contemptible "SyFy."

And, now that I've realized I'm not just reading your blog, but commenting on it, on going to beg off before I shit myself.

4:44 pm  
Blogger Hal Duncan said...

Shit yourself? Whyfore, amigo? I don't bite, honest. Well, OK, maybe there's the odd dental decapitation of a venomous snake or cluckety chicken now and then, but other than that... all are welcome at the Geek Show. :)

Anyhoo, re the US "Being Human"... I saw the first episode and was underwhelmed, I gotta say. It just felt a bit... bland. Like, they took the basic set-up of the UK series, stripped out the quirky tone that really made it, but failed to put anything as vital in its place. Other than maybe when Mark Pellegrino was on screen, the characters/actors... just didn't grab me.

5:42 pm  
Blogger Jack Crow said...

I wonder if it's a matter of context. There's only so much that isn't pap on American television. Scratch that. It's all pap.

"BH" is way beyond the norm. Plus, the cops are the bad guys. Don't get that much, this side of the drink.

For me, in my own minor way, I just like the tortured sincerity, since they've flipped the trope and turned the flesheaters into people who hate their own power, who aren't casual about it, who don't get all arrogant and act like CEOs because the imaginary PTBs let them feel like gods. For most American television, anyone with power is a lawyer, doctor, cop, prosecutor, noble employer or else a flat caricature dude (bald or well coifed, only) who does vaguely villainy things so the white hats have a plot through which to jail him.

Perhaps it would also work if it were handled by the people who put "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" over the waves, and I'd watch that too, for its twisted delights.

As for shitting myself, I'm a little awestruck is all. "Vellum" and "Ink," I give as gifts.

It's not easy corresponding with a person whose art has changed you.

6:48 pm  
Anonymous Anna said...

I would certainly watch it. And I do not watch TV-series.

While I'm at it, I gotta say that if I had to chose one book to read the rest of my life, it would probably be Vellum. It's pure awesomeness.

It has taken me about 20 minutes to write this comment. I totally understand how Jack Crow feels.

7:55 pm  
Blogger Hal Duncan said...

Ach, bless yez both. Glad the books meant so much to ye. :D

3:59 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home