Notes from New Sodom

... rantings, ravings and ramblings of strange fiction writer, THE.... Sodomite Hal Duncan!!

Thursday, February 02, 2006

About About Writing

So that synchronicity thing I was talking about before... where the whole world seems to be ganging up on you, telling you: This. Is. The. Thing. To. Do. ...

Well, I was thinking about Samuel R. Delany, partly from the whole blogospheric black/sexuality discussion thing in general, partly because I had vague thoughts of Delany as a model for the black queer academic character in my Gilgamesh, and partly because I snaffled his "Aye, and Gommorah" for the ED-SF Project and am now in the awkward position of twiddling hair, furrowing brow, stroking beard, biting bottom lip and generally pondering over how the fuck I can conquer my inner fanboy and write an intelligent appreciation -- something with a bit more depth than just, well, me gushing like a schoolgirl over how sodding wonderful SF's very own Santa Claus is (bringing beautiful sentences to little children all around the world). And he is wonderful! he is! he is! I believe in Santa Chip!

Anyway, as if by magic, suddenly everyone's reading and talking about Delany and how he writes and what he's written about writing in his book ABOUT WRITING, and (cf. Scott's comments on a previous post of mine) how right he is in what he's written about writing in his book ABOUT WRITING.

So I thought, fuck it, fate is clearly trying to tell me something... and ordered the book off Amazon the other day.

Because it's not like I have a couple of hundred books in my To Read pile already.

La la la.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kameron Hurley said...

It's a good book. The interviews slow it down at the end, but the rest is a pretty quick, fascinating, educating read. I ate it up (well, to the interviews part anyway) in a couple days. Slogging through the interviews took a few days more.

12:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home