Notes from New Sodom

... rantings, ravings and ramblings of strange fiction writer, THE.... Sodomite Hal Duncan!!

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Outer Alliance + The Turing Petition

I actually mentioned these in the comments to the last post, because they're clearly pertinent there, but both are also clearly worthy of being posted up here in an entry in their own right.

So, first off, we have The Outer Alliance, a new organisation set up with the aim of "education, support, and celebration of LGBT contributions in SF/F writing."

To quote from the main page of the blog:

Who is invited into the Outer Alliance? Anyone who supports the community’s tenets and is committed to engaging in intelligent discussion about LGBT issues in SF/F. This is a group founded in the belief that the best course against bigotry and discrimination is by rising above it, not stooping down to it.

This group is open to all writers (professionals and fledgelings alike) of SF/F (speculative, horror, paranormal, etc)–and their friends–of any inclination.


Obviously, I've signed up myself and encourage yez all to do the same, and to spread the word. I endorse this wholeheartedly.

Secondly, by way of Cheryl Morgan, I found out today about a petition asking the UK government to issue an apology for the persecution of Alan Turing that lead to his eventual suicide. If you're a UK citizen, again I encourage yez to go add your voice in the memory of a man who kind of classifies as a fricking war hero, as far as I'm concerned. Yes, apologies are symbolic, but sometimes symbols are important.

3 Comments:

Blogger Christopher Fletcher said...

As one who joined the Outer Alliance during its first formative minutes (yesterday, when I happened to be on Twitter at just the right time) I think it is fantastic and rather righteous for the Alliance to already have the endorsement of "THE...Sodomite" himself. Further, I find it highly satisfying and just that the creation of this group followed immediately in the aftermath of the Recent Unpleasantness, the John Wright Affair (with which you dealt so effectively in your previous post).

4:31 am  
Blogger Colin Meier said...

I wish I was a UK citizen so I could add my name to that petition.

7:50 am  
Blogger paul f cockburn said...

Petition signed.

3:20 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home