Notes from New Sodom

... rantings, ravings and ramblings of strange fiction writer, THE.... Sodomite Hal Duncan!!

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Author Perks

So the other night I went along to the Writer's Circle as per usual; only one of our non-scribbly friends, MJ, came along for the pub after, and MJ happens to be a student at Glasgow Uni. So come midnight when the bar closes, three of us decide to go off to the QM Union for a few more drinks, since MJ, being a member, can sign us two old fuckers in as guests.

Unfortunately, of course, the QM being a student union, the steward at the door asks us all for photo ID, just to ensure we're not axe-wielding maniacs or something, I guess. And, not having a driving licence or nothing, I'm left standing like a complete tool, wondering if I can be arsed running back to the flat for me passport.

So MJ, in a moment of inspiration, reaches into her bag where she's carrying the HB of VELLUM which she's currently reading, points at picture on back, points at me, and says, Will this do? And they actually let us in. If I'd tried it meself it would have been immensely sad. But as it was, it was just funny. Cool in an absurd, I-can't-believe-we-just-did-that sorta way.

4 Comments:

Blogger paul f cockburn said...

It's a bit heavy to cart around as photo ID, isn't it?

10:01 am  
Blogger Hal Duncan said...

It's a bit heavy to cart around, period!

10:18 am  
Blogger Alan Campbell said...

I wonder if this would work at airports. For instance, I flew down to London with BMI - no ID required. But Easyjet asked for photo ID on the way back. It was just a fluke I had some on me.

But if you ever found yourself in a daft situation like this at checkin, could you just nip to the airport bookshop?

2:37 pm  
Blogger Neal Asher said...

I'd say that was a seriously cool way of being IDed. But seriously naff if you did it for yourself. Funny the attitude that it's okay for someone else to point and say he's ... etc, but if you do it yourself...

9:58 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home