Notes from New Sodom

... rantings, ravings and ramblings of strange fiction writer, THE.... Sodomite Hal Duncan!!

Wednesday, May 05, 2010

New BSC Review Column

It's polling day here in the Royal Borough of Kentigern, in the nation of Grand Albion -- my country of origin back before I became a fully-naturalised citizen of New Sodom. It's all terribly tense, with Labour terribly unpopular, but the Conservatives in a bit of a mess and the Liberal Democrats on the rise. To be fair, I don't have a lot of faith in either of the two that aren't, well, right-wing fucks, and the internationalist ethos of New Sodom draws me to a less bounded outlook when it comes to political borders anyway, but I do still have a soft spot for the old country, so I'll be watching the election with some interest. Hell, I may dwell in this New Sodom of the soul in virtual terms, in this artifice constructed of cliques on the internet, conversations in pubs, movements in this field of the arts or that, but yeah, in practical terms, sadly, my meat body still abides in my scuzzy bachelor pad in Kentigern, so I have no choice but to pay attention to the politics it's going to be saddled with for the next four years...

2 Comments:

Blogger Colin Meier said...

No-one does eloquent anger quite like you, Hal.

As a slightly interested overseas observer, I've been waiting for someone in the UK to point out that the bigot, was, actually, bigoted.

In SA, as you might imagine, there are many coded statements about race (and many uncoded ones, as well). As soon as I read she'd said "Flocking" I understood perfectly what she meant (and what sort of person she was), because it's the same lumping, dehumanising, not us kind of phrase that gets used here a lot.

The only thing that pleasantly surprised me was Brown (believe it or not)! It was great to realize that he actually felt that way, and didn't privately agree with her. It was a glimpse of actual conviction.

The law-and-order society does form pressures that produce certain entrenched attitudes. One could say that it selects for certain harmful memes.

By the way, with these BSC columns, do you prefer getting comments here, or on the article itself? I'm not sure which is more helpful (although I'm fairly sure none of my comments could be described as helpful, the fact that there are comments promotes rank in search engines).

2:30 pm  
Blogger Colin Meier said...

And thanks for pointing out the awful Phillipa Stroud as well. Only the Guardian seems to have bothered with her.

She has, of course, stated in response that 'I don't believe homosexuality is an illness', which allowed Cameron to welcome her back to the fold (or extend his leathery wing to pull her back into the snakepit, to mix my metaphors).

She's quite right, she doesn't believe homosexuality is an illness. She
believes it's demon possession.

2:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home