Notes from New Sodom

... rantings, ravings and ramblings of strange fiction writer, THE.... Sodomite Hal Duncan!!

Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Mind Meld -- Gender Imbalance

SF Signal asked me for some thoughts on gender imbalance within genre fiction, as part of the most recent Mind Meld. The results are here. To be honest, I'm not really sure I'm qualified to talk about such matters. When you don't have to deal with the consequences, it's easy to remain complacent & ignorant in yer privilege; and even if you do have an awareness of the issue, that doesn't equate to insight as to dealing with it. So I'm not really sure I've got anything to say here that hasn't been said a thousand times before (vis-a-vis the backlash bullshit arguments of the reactionaries and the "keep it in yer consciousness" truism); but there are quotes from other pros much more central to the debate. So go read it on that basis.

1 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

Yeah. I have an opinion about it, and have thoughts on how editors can go about addressing the issue / thinking about the issue, but last I checked I neither write stories nor publish them.

Read them? Yeah, I have that going for me.

Qualified or not, you had a well articulated response.

3:28 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home